1.07.2009

city kid

So we went downtown for ballet yesterday, there is indeed free parking, woohoo. The building is beautiful, with a lobby and a receptionist and happy dancer people who are happy to help new dancers and their mama. Ella really really loved it, Abbey thought it was too much like yoga. Ella and I took a walk during Abbey's class and there are 2 parks within an easy walk once the weather gets nicer. Couldn't be more pleased, really. And then there are the intangibles. City vs. Subarbs. I sat next to a dad who was a dead ringer for Tom Hulce in Amadeus. He did not stare at me like I had 2 heads with my weirdoness and there was no clique action going on with the parents at all. There were some folks who knew each other but they did not make me feel like they didn't want to know me, it's a subtle distinction. There were more parents completely involved in their own thing than parents chatting and I was free to ignore them all without feeling rude. It was awesome.

I had a grand revelation also. My problem here that I have associated with being a mom and wanting my kids to not have negative ramifications from my weirdo affliction is a Suburb problem! I'm a city kid. Or a country kid. This suburb stuff is sub human.

No comments: