10.13.2008

Ugh! It's one thing to wake up with a hangover, it's another thing entirely to wake up with the gloomy doomy sadness that I've noticed happening lately.

Yesterday we went to my friend Maria's daughter's baptism. They are greek orthodox, I had never been to any sort of greek service before. It was LONG for the girls but full of chanting, which I liked. Poor Zoe was not quite as happy with the proceedings and really didn't like getting dunked, but who would? I was interested in the literal casting out of the devil, as I do not believe that little Zoe had anything devilish in her, but I'm glad it's gone anyway.

On the way in Abbey didn't want to go, she said "It's going to be like all of the other churches, boring and long!" So even at 5 and even though we don't ever go she knows... so funny.

So then we went to the reception which was at Wishbone downtown, I had 1 vodka drink and then 2 or 3 glasses of wine. I was a little tipsy but not too bad, we came home and went to bed but I woke up this morning with that pit of despair feeling. I had to remind myself that it was just the gunas making me feel that way (which has worked wonders for all sorts of stuff) but I really think it's the vodka, or the booze in general. I remember my last hangover had that doomy element too and is what had kept me from really tying one on for awhile and now I'll be even more cautious. Because it's no fun. I do not think I get this problem from beer but I have also not had more than 2 beers and a sitting in a long time.

It was interesting hearing John explain the rituals to the girls because he was trying to tell them that the orthodox church is protestant! I was like, nooooooo, I think the orthodox religion is actually more ancient than the roman catholic one... and less changed. I just did a little research on it and the baptism "mystery" has been largely unchanged for 1500 years.

So all in all a very intersting day, the girls got a heads up about the orthodox religion as did John and Zoe was splendid in her fancy dresses. 2 dresses and a towel, rather.

I think I'm going to stay away from the vodka for awhile, though...

No comments: