9.26.2008

Long night

Poor Dabber, she feels crummy. I only had to get up twice with her but once was at 5:30 so of course I'm still up. And bitchy so watch out. I'm annoyed with John, our little experiment got messed up because he didn't want to wake up early yesterday. He promised we'd get to it last night but we didn't. Maybe I'll go wake him up in a minute but I'm too cranky. So on Monday he went to play golf all afternoon and didn't get home until later than usual. Then the train fiasco kept him out until almost 9 or whatever. By the time he got home last night I was done, so I asked him to take Ella with him to the tire store but of course NOOOOOOO He can't take Ella to the tire store, what will he do with her there? Um. Bring some books? Stop for chicken nuggets and bring those? Talk to her? She's your fucking daughter, man, don't act like some sort of martyr because mama needs some time to herself, or rather herself and just one sick kid and not the entirely well and needing attention one. So pissed about this, because today he's going to play golf again and sticking me to either sit around at his parent's house until he gets there at whatever time after dinner and drinks and all that, or I could be the bad guy and make the kids come home after my lesson but then they don't get to hang out with Mimi. OH yeah, did I mention that instead of visiting my family on Monday he's playing golf?

Speaking of my family. If my mom tells me one more time that she thinks ella is somehow SLOW socially and that we should not start her in kindergarten until she is 6 I'm going to blow a gasket. I have no opinion about her decision to start me at 6, she's my mom and she made the best decision for me at that time and who am I to judge that? I don't remember having an opinion about it until I got to be an angsty teenager and had to wait an extra year to graduate and get the hell outta dodge. Current Kindergarten curruculum standards here in Illinois allow for a very wide range of skills to pass. Ella will be screened during this year at pre-school as well as next, as well as a pre-k screening to enroll. Just supposing that she is indeed not ready to go to kindergarten in 2 years then I might entertain the thought of waiting. But I'm not interested in discussing it now. And especially not in front of her!

1 comment:

mermaid queen said...

they make me GROUCHY!

grrrrrrrrr. can they hear this California Golden Mama Bear growl from way out here.

they better f-ing watch it, man, or Im gonna come there and give them a piece of my mind.

i was always told as a kid that I was found to be 'not emotionally mature enough" to start first grade at age 6.. so they kept me in the montessori an extra year (lucky me, really) before sending me to the pubic elementary. but imho that is a totally inappropriate thing to tell a child. i suppose i could just add that to the list of shockingly inappropriate things my parents did or said... but i digress.

the kids in my town were all mostly born in the winter... my only actual agemates were all the hippy homeschool kids in Wonalancet, so i had to be either 6 months older or 6 months younger than all the kids in my class ... they chose 6 months older. but i ended up skipping 8th grade and graduating at 17 anyways. perhaps my "emotional maturity" was something i grew into. punks.

Ella is not in the least SLOW. She is, in fact, quite friendly, bright and well socialized. She has excellent manners and is very good at stacking blocks and standing on one leg. Clearly she has all the skills necessary for kindergarten. It seems, however, that since she also has an exceptionally bright older sister with a different temperament that folks are going to need to hold her up to Abbey's example. Good thing for her she has YOU, and you don't let no one talk smack on your kids. Even your mom.

love you. want me to kick someone's ass?